11km London Thames Run

11km London Thames Run

Run both of our 5km Thames run to extend to an 11km overall route, seeing more of this beautiful part of London. All on paths which are lit so you can run day or night.

Click here to populate this route on Google Maps
Route overview

Route overview

The original Westminster Abbey was established around 960 by Benedictine Monks. The Abbey you see today was requested by Henry III in 1245 and became one of the most important Gothic buildings in the country, with a medieval shrine of an Anglo-Saxon saint treasured within. Not to disappoint you, but Westminster Abbey’s name is not Westminster Abbey. Its official name is the Collegiate Church of St. Peter at Westminster; more of a mouthful clearly. Around 1560, the abbey received special “Royal Peculiar” status, meaning it is under the jurisdiction of the British monarchy and not the Church of England. Hence, most royal weddings and coronations (since 1066) take place here. During WWII, the Coronation Chair was sent to Gloucester Cathedral for safekeeping, and the Coronation Stone was buried secretly in the Abbey to protect it. Some significant commemorations and burials occurred here, including those of Isaac Newton, Edward the Confessor, and Charles Dickens. The Abbey does hold frequent services for the public, which you can see here.

First Part of Route from Westminster

First Part of Route

Lambeth Palace is the home of the Archbishop of Canterbury, his family, and two religious communities. It is undergoing extensive refurbishing and is not usually open to the public. Get more updates here.

Second Part of Route over Lambeth Bridge

Second Part of Route

The Westminster Bridge connects the west and east sides of Westminster and Lambeth and was initially built between 1739 and 1750. However, it began to fall into disrepair in the mid-19th century. The current bridge was then opened in 1862. You will notice the bridge is painted green to resemble the colour of the seats in the House of Commons on the side of the Palace of Westminster. Lambeth Bridge, on the other hand, is painted red to resemble the seats in the House of Lords on the opposite side of the Houses of Parliament.

Third Part of Route past Westminster Bridge

Third Part of Route

Jubilee Gardens was originally the site of the Festival of Britain’s Dome of Discovery and the Skylon. The Festival of Britain was to serve as a “tonic for the nation” after the war. The Festival showcased some of Britain’s best textiles, furniture, and innovations in science and technology. In 1977, the park was laid out for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee. The gardens began to deteriorate as a result of the construction of the Jubilee Line extension, and the Golden Jubilee Bridges worsened because the South Bank became a top tourist destination. The gardens once again have the same splendour today thanks to extensive renovations and redesigning by multiple specialists and shareholders.

Fourth Part of Route past Hungerford Bridge

Fourth Part of Route

Waterloo Bridge, as the name suggests, commemorates the victory of the British, Dutch, and Prussians at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. As a result of scour damaging the foundation of the bridge, the bridge had to be closed in the 1920s. In the 1930s, it was decided to demolish and rebuild the bridge entirely; however, due to the war, male labour was scarce, so women became part of the construction workforce with the project then being referred to as “The Ladies Bridge” for many years. Parts of the old bridge were repurposed in some ways, including the Elmwood being used for the dining room floor of Hamstone House, and granite stones were “presented to various parts of the British world to further historical links in the British Commonwealth of Nations.”

Fifth Part of Route past Waterloo Bridge

Fifth Part of Route

Sixth Part of Route past Blackfriar's Bridge

Sixth Part of Route

Millenium Bridge, once nicknamed the “Wobbly Bridge” or “Wibbly Wobbly”, was initially opened in 2000 but two days later, as the nickname suggests, had to undergo two-year-long repairs to keep it stable and reopened again in 2002.

Seventh Part of Route past Southwark Bridge

Seventh Part of Route

London Bridge, often confused with Tower Bridge, has a history of nearly two millennia. The famous nursery rhyme “London Bridge is Falling Down” refers to the multitudes of times when the bridge collapsed and was damaged throughout its history. Initially, the Romans built it as a wooden bridge when they founded Londinium. Then, a stone bridge was completed in 1209, and it had shops, houses, and a chapel, creating a little community. This medieval bridge once displayed the heads of traitors such as William Wallace, and it suffered damages from the great fires of London and Viking invasions, necessitating numerous reconstructions. Interestingly, the granite bridge of 1831 was sold in 1968 and relocated to Lake Havasu City, Arizona. The bridge we see today was opened in 1973 by Queen Elizabeth II and was built of concrete and steel.

Eighth Part of Route past London Bridge

Eighth Part of Route

The Tower of London was founded by William the Conqueror in 1066 and, over the centuries, has served as a royal palace, prison, armoury, and treasury. Prisoners included Anne Boleyn and Sir Walter Raleigh. In addition to housing the Crown Jewels, you can see the White Tower in its Norman architecture, the Beefeaters, or Yeoman Warders that guard the Tower and the pampered ravens who also guard the Tower according to legend and protect the Crown. This UNESCO World Heritage Site holds many of England’s secrets, history, and royalty.

Ninth Part of Route over Tower Bridge

Ninth Part of Route

Tower Hill is most famous for its public executions dating back to the Middle Ages, including Anne Boleyn, Thomas More, and Thomas Cromwell. To mark the execution site, you will see a permanent scaffold commemorating all who lost their lives there. You will also find other informative plaques and installations that detail the different parts of the Tower of London’s history.

Tenth Part of Route past Tower of London

Tenth Part of Route

Eleventh Part of Route through Cannon Street

Eleventh Part of Route

When St. Paul’s Cathedral was finished, it was among the most important structures of the Middle Ages. For millennia, the location of St. Paul’s has been a focus of worship, having served as a pagan sanctuary long before the Romans built a temple dedicated to the goddess Diana. This building is the fifth reconstruction of St. Paul’s Cathedral. Following the Civil War and the Reformation of Tudor England, the preceding building, number four, fell into decay and was ultimately destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666. Fires and Vikings destroyed structures one through three. Since St. Paul’s was to be built of stone in an area with soft clay ground, it required a strong foundation. This foundation became a crypt wherein King Edward VI and other important figures from history are kept and it was constructed by the renowned architect and designer, Christopher Wren. As if the Cathedral hadn’t already endured enough, a German bomb punctured its dome during the London Blitz, causing some damage. Furthermore in 1913, a cleaner discovered an explosive device next to the Bishop’s Throne after hearing a ticking sound. It was transferred to the closest police station to be looked at further after being put inside a bucket of water.

Twelfth Part of Route past St Paul's Cathedral down Peter's Hill

Twelfth Part of Route

Thirteenth Part of Route down Victoria Embankment passed Blackfriar's Bridge

Thirteenth Part of Route

The Inner Temple Gardens are usually open between 12:30 and 15:00 on weekdays. The gardens are set within the Inns of Court in London’s legal district. Their origins date back to the 12th century with the Knights Templar and England’s legal background. Spanning three acres, the garden demonstrates green grass, beautiful flowers, and a wide variety of trees and plants, providing a relaxing environment. William Shakespeare’s Henry VI, Part 1 is said to have been set in these gardens with the scene where the red and white roses were plucked to symbolise the factions in the Wars of the Roses.

Fourteenth Part of Route down Victoria Embankment

Fourteenth Part of Route

The Victoria Embankment Gardens were opened in 1865 and formed from reclaimed land from the River Thames. Scattered throughout the park are statues commemorating WWII, Iraq and Afghanistan, and Robert Burns. Throughout the summer, various events are held here amongst the flower beds and on the green grass.

Fifteenth Part of Route down Victoria Embankment past Waterloo Bridge

Fifteenth Part of Route

Nearby, the Horse Guards parade is the official site of  Trooping the Colour for the King’s birthday. Numerous memorials are scattered here, including the Royal Naval Division Memorial, Viscount Wolseley Statue, Earl Roberts Statue, Lord Kitchener Statue, and the Lord Mountbatten Statue.

Sixteenth Part of Route down Victoria Embankment to Westminster

Sixteenth Part of Route

Click here to populate this route on Google Maps


If you enjoyed this route, see our 5km Thames Run

Remember to download our app

Save the gpx file of this run to use in other running apps.

Map details © OpenStreetMap contributors

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.